Do you grind or clench your teeth at night? If so, our dentist may recommend a night guard. Grinding or clenching your teeth (bruxism) is a common condition, but it can be harmful to your oral health if it is left untreated. At the dental practice of Jacob S. Miller, DDS, we can create customized night guards that fit your smile comfortably and provide protection while you sleep. Please feel free to contact us at 616-364-7039 if you have any questions and if you would like to set up your appointment and learn if you could benefit from a night guard in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
A night guard is a special type of mouth guard that is used to treat bruxism, or teeth grinding and clenching. If our dentist suspects that you suffer from bruxism, we may recommend a night guard to protect your teeth from damage and prevent teeth grinding while you sleep. Many people who suffer from bruxism are unaware of the condition because it occurs while they sleep. Common signs of nighttime teeth clenching and grinding include:
- Chronic jaw pain, facial pain, and ear pain
- Awakening with a tired or tight feeling in the jaw
- Frequent tension headaches and migraines
- Excessive tooth wear, leading to chipped, flattened, cracked, or very worn teeth
- Extremely worn tooth enamel, exposing the inner layers of the tooth
- Indentations on the side of the tongue
- Increased tooth sensitivity
If you notice the signs of bruxism, you may benefit from a custom night guard. This night guard will be custom made to fit your smile comfortably and effectively, allowing you to sleep peacefully while protecting your smile. We invite you to contact us today to learn more about night guards and how we can prevent teeth grinding. We are dedicated to providing the best possible care for your smile.